The all-Russian speed chess competitions “RAPID Grand Prix of Russia” 2020 consist of regional tournaments, which have a status of the GP stages, and the final tournament. Overall result of the competition is formed by the outcome of the final tournament.
The number of the RAPID Grand Prix stages is unlimited. Regulations of the stages are developed by regional chess federations and confirmed by the Chess Federation of Russia.
Sportsmen have a right to play in an unlimited number of the RAPID Grand Prix stages during the year.
The finalists are determined upon the data which CFR receives from the stages' organizers. RAPID Grand Prix points scored by participants are summed up to determine the finalists. In case of a tie, the average number of points, scored by each of them during one stage, is taken into consideration. The one, whose tiebreaker is higher, gets an advantage. If the tie still exists, the sportsman, who was placed higher in a particular event, gets an advantage.
GP points are awarded only to participants who have Russian citizenship or to those who have a temporary registration in one of the Russian regions (except Moscow and Saint Petersburg) not later that January 1 of the current year.
14 sportsmen, who scored a maximum number of points in the stages, qualify for the final, including: 11 men, 1 woman, 1 junior under 19 years old (boy) and 1 junior under 19 years old (girl), and 2 Organizer's nominees, by agreement with the CFR.
In the case of any withdrawal, the candidates' list is formed by the participants who were placed next in their categories.
Tournament Calendar 2020
1. L. Sandakhchiev Memorial, January 10-13, Novosibirsk
2. Lipetsk Winter, January 16-20, Lipetsk
3. Vladivostok 2020, January 20-23, Vladivostok
4. R. Kur Memorial, February 28 - March 2, Barnaul
5. 18th Chess Festival «Sagaalgan», March 19-23, Ulan-Ude
6. R. Nezhmetdinov Cup, May 28-31, Kazan
7. A. Kadyrov Memorial, May 29 - June 1, Grozny
8. E. Zudov Memorial, July 16-19, Nizhny Tagil
9. St Petersburg Summer, August 28-31, Saint Petersburg
10. Igor Kurnosov Memorial, September 3-7, Chelyabinsk
11. M. Naidov Memorial, October 16-19, Kemerovo
12. N. Gapizov Memorial, October 23-26, Makhachkala
13. Ugra Cup, November 25-29, Khanty-Mansiysk
14. Final of the RAPID Grand Prix (Top 16), December 7-11, Khanty-Mansiysk.